OT/Gary Stu (fanfic definition query)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Tue Jun 25 12:06:51 EDT 2002

Katta wrote:
> Um, no, and no. Slashfic is not primarily a pornographical genre but a
> romantic one that ranges in its sexual explicitness from G to NC-17,
> where even NC-17 isn't necessarily worse than anything by Jean Auel. And
> femslash (female slash) exists in most of the main fandoms and several
> small ones: out of the top of my head I can mention Buffy the Vampire
> Slayer, Smallville, Dark Angel, X-Men and Star Trek Voyager.
I'm sorry if I in some way offended you.  As I said before: slashfic is not
*always* a pornographic genre but it is true that the definition often
includes primarily (often -- not primarily.).  It is also true that if you
look at a number of web-dictionary sites slashfic will be *defined* as
pornographic...take the different definitions for what you will.  Also, as
I said, female slashfic is not *unheard of*, it is rarer, from a number of
definition sites I've looked at, it's rarer *by far* to the point that
again, slashfic is sometimes *defined* as male characters only.  In short:
there's a lot of definitions.  None of them are per se correct or
not...I've gathered below some of the different ones I've
found...read/choose for yourself