OT/Gary Stu (fanfic definition query)

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 25 11:23:52 EDT 2002

>Um, it's a subgenre of fanfic that involves a homosexual romance, usually
>between two main male characters (although it's not completly unheard of
>for female charcters, although I've been informaed by friends who read such
>that female slash is generally reserved for Xena and Gabrielle).  It's
>often pornographical.  I've never actually read any, but have heard a great
>deal about it from my Fanfic reading friends.  It is called "slash" because
>of the slash between the names of the two charcters featured (like
>Xena/Gabrielle).

Um, no, and no. Slashfic is not primarily a pornographical genre but a
romantic one that ranges in its sexual explicitness from G to NC-17, where
even NC-17 isn't necessarily worse than anything by Jean Auel. And femslash
(female slash) exists in most of the main fandoms and several small ones:
out of the top of my head I can mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
Smallville, Dark Angel, X-Men and Star Trek Voyager. I personally wrote a
femslash story for Press Gang (definitely not beyond PG rating).

Amazing that I take time to defend slash when I don't defend fanfic. Maybe
it's because at the very least the *description* of fanfiction was correct.

Katta

http://www.geocities.com/katta_hj

"Killing ten vampires is a lot harder than killing one."
"Does the word 'duh' mean anything to you?"
(Kristy Swanson made a better Buffy - in a poorer story.)