OT/Gary Stu (fanfic definition query)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Jun 25 09:46:24 EDT 2002

> >2.   I just kind of think it's a waste to write something you can't sell
or
> >"publish" in any normal way.
>
> Without getting into the subject of fanfiction (I'm a ficcer, and I know
> plenty of ficcers that aren't only better than me, but sometimes better
than
> the stuff they work from), I think this particular comment, which is a
> common one, is so sad.

Oh, I quite agree! That's why I said *from my point of view*. Most of the
writers I have known have wanted to share their work.

You can share a cat with a friend - it's there and it's admirable. And
interaction between you and a cat is for company and friendship.

The flowers bring joy to anyone who looks at them. They grow and react to
sunlight.

However - writing brings pleasure only to those who *read it* (and to those
who write it).   And that involves having it out there to be read.

I know what I mean, at any rate, but obviously it could have been better
expressed <g> what do I know? I don't understand sport, or maths, or
politics or those who indulge in any of those, either...

Only I thought I understood a bit about writers.

Anyhow, didn't mean to offend any feelings, and shall now retire from this
discussion (i.e. scurry away) and get on with what I'm meant to be doing -
which is (have you guessed yet?) writing a book about characters invented by
somebody else.....

Sallyo.