Reccommended (was MZB (was Lackey))

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 25 08:06:08 EDT 2002

>Which, to get back to the head of this thread, the first question really
>with reccomending books is to ask the reccommendee what kind of books
>*they* like, or even more precisely, what kind of books they feel in the
>mood for.

Amen. Not all fantasy is equal. Had a terrible experience with a book
recommended by my modern history teacher in yr 12, so bad I have apparently
blanked out the name of the book, though I can see the cover. Simon someone?
Pretty well known. I had a rather violent reaction against the protagonist
and it was hard to care enough about him to plough on through the book after
that.
Besides, that was when someone (whom I still have not forgiven entirely) got
me on to Raymond E. Feist. Not a sword and sorcery fan generally, but that
doesn't mean you can't get hooked. Unfortunately I read what there was of
series two, then read the first series, fell in love with all the characters
when they were young and idealistic, then went back to the last book of the
second series when they were all old or dead or dying and the place was
being taken over by these little upstarts. Very traumatic. Don't think I
finished the book.
Did try with Feist again but that time a character was on his way from
Taroom to [Innisfail?]. Disbelief came crashing down so suddenly I almost
had hysterics (with laughter). I lived near Taroom and that time and was
familiar with [the other place] and in the middle of midkemia they just
didn't fit. I'm guessing he was gleaning names from the back of an atlas,
but should probably have checked their proximity. One name might have been
forgiveable. Two, alas...
(I'm starting to sound like I never finish books! Usually I do).
Kathleen.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au