Dart-Thornton (was Australian Fantasy)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jun 25 07:33:25 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 11:36:12AM +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:
> That's what I was getting at, only from the other direction.  It's the old
> "write what you know" chestnut. Unfortunately, what Euro/Australians "know"
> is Euro/Brit/Celtic Roman/Greek mythology, *and* Australian setting.
>
> If we give up the existing mythologies, we have lost a huge chunk of of
> fiction-well, but if we set books o/s we reinforce the wretched idea that
> "Australians don't write fantasy".
>
> One way to do it is to use the characters in a fish-out-o'-water story...
> i.e. I have a w.i.p. (which may be forever i.p.) about an Irish girl
> transported as a convict who is accompanied to the colonies by the family
> leprechaun. Since Leary O'Leary is at least partly a figment (um - I mean
> partly "created" by the family) he settles in the colonies and begins to
> take on aspects of his new environment.

Ooh, sounds interesting.

Another way of doing it is the other way around; to start the story off
in the Australian landscape, but have the Australian protagonist be
transported Elsewhere (like the Pevensie children to Narnia, or Alice
down the rabbit-hole).  That, of course, merely side-steps the problem,
since we leave the Australian landscape as a lost second-cousin, but the
possibility is still there to have a non-European perspective on it all,
because the protagonists aren't from Europe.

Kathryn Andersen