MZB (was Lackeye)

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Tue Jun 25 05:04:21 EDT 2002

> Had "Hawk of May" recommended to me many times. Finally tracked down a
> second copy but by that time abhorred most "Arthurian" fantasy and I still
> need a break before I read it.

It used to my my absolute favorite when I was a teenager. I haven't read it
for some time, maybe I shoud do it again.

It's the first part of an Arthurian triology (parts two and tree called The
Kingdom of Summer and The Crown of Camelot in German). Each book has a
different narrator, Hawk of May has Gawain ap Lot, the second Rhys ap Sion, and the
last Guinevere. (sp ad lib?) And the second and third get darker and darker.

Although I knew the story and that many people die, I had one of the most
terrible emotional reactions I ever had to a book to the last one. I couldn't
finish it, cried violently, my parents were really worried. Bradshaw created a
character a deeply cared for (and had a real crush on :-)

It must be very hard for an author to make characters she likes suffer
terribly, and although I admire Bradshaw for the consequent drama, I don't think
I'll ever read these books (2&3) again. The emotional echo is still there,
although I'm a different person now.

ObDWJ: Mordion induced a similar feeling in my stomach...

Bettina
I know I should work... ;-)

http://www.gmx.net