OT/Gary Stu (fanfic definition query)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Jun 25 02:25:01 EDT 2002

I believe fanfic is fiction written using ready-existing characters from other book series or (more likely) TV series. They are written by fans of the original. A lot of very good writers indulge in fanfic, which I find very strange. I always wish they'd leave the fan stuff alone and write something original. However, I stress that that's *my* opinion only, and may be skewed by the fact that I often have to write stories about existing characters for work... and don't much like doing it. I mean - other people like watching football, and I can't understand that, either.

Sallyo.

  To my embarrassment, I'm still not really sure of what is meant by fanfic. Any help? (You should have heard the laughter from my cronies when I didn't really grasp slashfic!)

  All responses gratefully received and filed!

  Marie