Arthurian Fantasy

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 23:15:01 EDT 2002

<< But apart from that, I'm sick of Arthurian tales also.  I hate reading
them knowing the disaster to come. I'm not that much of a masochist. >>

Arthurian fantasy got really hot sometime in the late '70s and a whole
cartload of it got dumped on us about then. Some of them weren't all that
bad, but most were perfectly awful.

Taking a sidestep without actually changing the subject; If the Arthurian
feel is what you like but don't want a story that you already know the end
of, Teresa Edgerton did a couple of trilogies about a decade aggo which were
set in an AU which was blatantly Arthurian, striking all of the same
quasi-celtic twilight notes, but with enough glaring departures from canon
Arthuriana that you were not convinced that it was going to ultimately follow
the same pattern at all. (Both sets followed other characters of the court
anyway.) Really very good if you go in for pseudo-celtic.