Introductions (now Late Arrivals at the Introductions Ball!)

Voicebearer at aol.com Voicebearer at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 21:57:55 EDT 2002

Name: Marie Denley (aka Mrs Nokes in private life)

Occupation: until early retirement last September, lecturer in English,
King's College London. I taught Old and Middle English, and my own special
option paper, Children's Fantasy Literature. Now joint carer for my elderly
mother, gradually slipping into dementia, alas

Age: 52 (hell's teeth, you're all so young on this list!)

Married:  to my colleague, David 'Prof' Nokes, biographer and screenplay
writer

Children: one daughter (severely dyslexic but loves books including DWJ -
Chrestomanci stuff on tape especially; 12; adopted - we are proud and
delighted to acknowledge that)

I live between: Bolton, Lancashire (my home town, 'ecky thump and eeh bah
goom) in term time, and Cambridge in the vacations

How I discovered the list:  pootling around the Internet preparing
bibliography and webliography for my Children's Fantasy Lit. course some
years ago. Pressure of work, then pressure of caring duties, meant a lot of
lurking

Favourite DWJ novel: Fire and Hemlock (well, what else would you expect a
medievalist taught by DWJ's husband John 'Prof' Burrow to say?)

Favourite authors: oh golly … Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austen, Anne Bronte,
George Eliot, Robertson Davies; in the children's department, Susan Cooper
(mainly for The Dark is Rising' - the novel of that title rather than the
whole sequence), DWJ obviously, Philip Pullman (he would kill me for
pigeonholing him in the children's box, and I heartily approve his inclusive
approach to writing).

Number of books owned: God only knows (and even she may not be up to date!),
given two academic libraries plus 3 cases of rampant bibliomania in the
family to accommodate. We recently moved our family home from London to
Cambridge. Pickford's ran out of cardboard boxes, the removal van had splayed
wheels, and we believe the extensive resurfacing of the M11 is down to the
effect of our pantechnicon (but we're keeping very quiet!)

Hobbies apart from reading: Scots Gaelic vocal music (and now I'm retired I'm
going to make a second stab at learning the language, helped by a course on
disk); reiki (I'm now at level 2, and going for Master/Teacher in the long
run); cultivating my garden (for herbs, not regimented rows of salvias and
lobelias)

It's been fascinating reading the other introductions, and congratulations to
- was it Philip Belben? - for suggesting we all emerge a little way from the
closet. One picks up one's impressions of a person from e-mails indirectly,
but it's good to have direct input to add.

Marie