Lackey

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon Jun 24 18:44:12 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 08:03:17PM +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
> Kathryn said...
> > Oddly enough, another book which she co-wrote, this time with Anne
> > McCaffrey, I'm actually very fond of, and that's "The Ship Who
> > Searched", which seems as if they managed to relieve each others'
> > burnout, at least for that novel.
>
> Oh yes, that is a really good one.  The best of that series, I think, though
> "The City Who Fought" (AMC with S. M. Stirling) isn't bad.  The one done
> with Margaret Ball, however, is terrible!

Which one was the Margaret Ball one, again?

> > > Now, I do like books that treat magic mundanely (just as I like
> > books where
> > > mundane things are treated as wondrous); I'm fond of that contradiction.
> >
> > I think I'd rather read a book where mundane things are treated as
> > wondrous -- one reason why I'm so awfully fond of "The Napoleon of
> > Notting Hill".
>
> Haven't read that one - must look out for it!

By G.K. Chesterton, he of "The Man Who Was Friday" and the Father Brown
stories.  Fans of McGoohan's "The Prisoner" will find a kindred book in
"The Man Who Was Friday".  Fans of Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" may be
interested to note that apparently the appearance of Fiddler's Green was
based on Chesterton.
Note that "The Napoleon of Notting Hill" was written in 1904.

> > I think there's a bit of difference between having magic as an everyday
> > part of life (mundane in that sense) as distinct from making magic,
> > well, *boring*.  Mechanical.  Not creative.  I don't know if I can put
> > my finger on it... but, say, even though, for example, magic is part of
> > everyday life in Ingary, it's hardly mechanical or boring to go hopping
> > about the marshes in seven-league boots chasing falling stars, is it?
> > While, as a contrast, healing someone's wounds by squirting some
> > internal Power through your hands with a pretty light show *ought* to be
> > wonderous, but ends up not being so, not the way it was written in
> > "Bedlam Boyz", at least.
>
> Okay, yes, I see what you mean.  Even if magic is normal, it shouldn't be
> boring.  I don't think the magic in Lackey's elf books is handled at all
> well (though, as an aside, IIRC "Bedlam Boyz" is by Ellen Guon alone -

Oh yes, my bad!
> though connected to "Knight of Ghosts and Shadows" and "Summoned to
> Tourney").  But again, I'm also less fond of those books because I don't
> much like elves!

Well, there are elves and elves.

> If you like urban fantasy, I do think "Children of the Night" is the best of
> Lackey's efforts in that direction - for one thing, I like how she
> translates the heroine's fear into some rather shiny magic!

Hmmm, sounds interesting.

> > Thanks, I'll see if I can track down the Last Herald-Mage then.
>
> Just be aware that it *is* heavy on the teen angst!  It helps to read it
> with a degree of nostalgia for that period of one's life. :-)  (Though there
> is a funny aside in the last volume where the hero realises he's whining and
> makes a comment about how whenever he's tired, he reverts to being a bratty
> 15-year-old!)

LOL

> > Ah well, I fell down then, because the modern-day elf stories are
> > probably what I've read the most of her stuff, and kept on getting
> > dissappointed.  Then again, I've yet to find something to top Emma
> > Bull's "War For The Oaks", really.
>
> I love that book!  And am still trying to track down my own copy of it.  (If
> anyone has a spare, I can give it a very good home...)

<smug>
Already gave away my spare, when I replaced it with a copy personally
signed by the author.  Worldcons are wonderful.
</smug>

> Until the sky falls on our heads...

That's very celtic...

Kathryn Andersen