Australian Fantasy

Mon Jun 24 13:16:53 EDT 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:25:30 -0700 (PDT), Jon Noble wrote:

> but there is now Celia (?) Dart-Thornton

Cecilia Dart-Thornton.  Her book _The Ill-Made Mute_ is...hmmm.  I have a
hard time explaining it.  The world-concept is very interesting, the magic
is interesting, the character is interesting, but she has this very strange
style of writing that verges on an entire book of purple prose.  It's
beautiful, but you're always aware that it's beautiful and convoluted, and I
think that's a drawback.  I liked it and I'll be reading the sequels (_The
Lady of Sorrows_ is out here now), but I can't feel quite comfortable
recommending it to any of my friends.  They are all a lot less patient with
such things than I am.  (Though they're MORE patient with Mercedes Lackey
than I am.  It's a tradeoff, to be sure.)

Melissa Proffitt