Australian Fantasy (was Re: Obernewtyn (was recommended books))

Mon Jun 24 13:01:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:23:50 +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:

>As for whether a unicorn would survive here -- well, brumbies do.  Camels
>do.  Rabbits do.  Foxes do.  None of these creatures is native, but they,
>like the ubiquitous blackberry, thrive.

I was wondering if perhaps an Australian unicorn might look different from
the "traditional" image.  Sort of the way Oriental dragons are different
from Occidental ones.  (Okay, some of that is because they come from
different traditions, different mythologies, but still.)  Or an African
unicorn.  I could easily picture an author digging right down to the roots
of what makes a unicorn a unicorn, and rebuilding it from those foundations
in the shape of some other country or climate.  I don't know how
well-accepted it would be--some people are very picky about their fantasy
settings--but it might be an interesting change.

Melissa Proffitt