Railways

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 24 11:38:44 EDT 2002

> If I get past honours, I'd really like to compare the rlwy in
> Australian,American and Indian books. Very different from British -
> not altering
> society, but making it possible, tying together distances, or a
> symbol of
> Empire... But not now! My topic is already very broad and only
> possiblebecause there hasn't been a lot written on the rail in
> children'sliterature.

If you are looking at Chalet books, you also should get hold of some
Antonia Forest (which may be a little tricky, but people on this list
might be able to help; or you can ask on girlsown for photocopies). A
lot of important action in her books occurs in trains:

In Autumn Term, Nicola stops a train because she loses her penknife; she
also runs away from school on a train

In End of Term, she rides in a guard's van, and makes a friend by
getting off at the wrong station; girls use a railway carriage to be
nasty to an unpopular girl

In Falconer's Lure, Nicola convinces her sister to leave school and look
after the family farm in a conversation on the train (this is mentioned
in Cricket Term)

Ready-Made family is all trains, because there is a boy (Charles) who is
train mad. They get to go into the driver's compartment, there are two
near-misses to train accidents, a trip to the end of the train line,
walking along the embankment causes trouble, an embarrassing incident
with a grandmother on a train, and Nicola takes the train to Oxford.

Robyn