Lackey

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 24 11:32:02 EDT 2002

> In a brief mental lapse I managed to confuse Lackey with
> mzBradley. Probably
> because I really didn't like Mists of Avalon. I'd like to know
> people'sopinions on it, whether I should tackle it again.

I have taught it a couple of times as part of a medievalism course, and
readers are strictly divided into love/hate. One of the most difficult
things about the book is that it now seems very dated. A lot of people
have copied the ideas and approaches in this book, so if you have read
some of the later things that owe tribute to Mists, you may, oddly, find
it derivative (like if you read Kay's Fionovar books before LoTR). Mists
also inspired a generation of neo-pagans, so if they annoy you, it is
going to be problematic. Read in a historical context, the book has
merit, but it also has problems. Its feminism is a little shaky, and it
does tend to be a little long for some readers. Personally, I think it
is worth giving a try.

Robyn