Mary-Sue (was Re: Nesbit)

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 11:10:14 EDT 2002

Just for the fun of it, I thought I'd share with you the original Mary Sue
story, "A Trekkie's Tale" by Paula Smith.

"Gee, golly, gosh, gloriosky," thought Mary Sue as she stepped on the bridge
of the Enterprise. "Here I am, the youngest Lieutenant in the fleet - only
fifteen and a half years old." Captain Kirk came up to her.

"Oh Lieutenant, I love you madly. Will you come to bed with me?"

"Captain! I am not that kind of girl!"

"You're right, and I respect you for it. Here, take over the ship for a
minute while I go for some coffee for us."

Mr. Spock came onto the bridge. "What are you doing in the command seat,
Lieutenant?"

"The Captain told me to."

"Flawlessly logical. I admire your mind."

Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy and Mr. Scott beamed down with Lt. Mary
Sue to Rigel XXXVII. They were attacked by green androids and thrown into
prison. In a moment of weakness Lt. Mary Sue revealed to Mr. Spock that she
too was half Vulcan. Recovering quickly, she sprung the lock with her
hairpin and they all got away back to the ship.

But back on board, Dr. McCoy and Lt. Mary Sue found out that the men who had
beamed down were seriously stricken by the jumping cold robbies, Mary Sue
less so. While the four officers languished in Sick Bay, Lt. Mary Sue ran
the ship, and ran it so well she received the Nobel Peace Prize, the Vulcan
Order of Gallantry and the Tralfamadorian Order of Good Guyhood.

However the disease finally got to her and she fell fatally ill. In the sick
bay as she breathed her last, she was surrounded by Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock,
Dr. McCoy, and Mr. Scott all weeping unashamedly at the loss of her
beautiful youth and youthful beauty, intelligence, capability and all around
niceness. Even to this day her birthday is a national holiday of the
Enterprise.

THE END

(Story found in Camille Bacon-Smith's "Enterprising Women".)

So now we can all feel a bit more enlightened when it comes to the origin of
one of fandom's most common terms.

Katta

http://www.geocities.com/katta_hj

"Killing ten vampires is a lot harder than killing one."
"Does the word 'duh' mean anything to you?"
(Kristy Swanson made a better Buffy - in a poorer story.)