MZB (was Lackey)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Mon Jun 24 09:46:55 EDT 2002

> --- Kathleen Jennings <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>
> wrote:
>>Probably
>> because I really didn't like Mists of Avalon. I'd
>> like to know people's
>> opinions on it, whether I should tackle it again.
I avidly disliked it, enough that I would have given up, except I was
reading it for class.*  I was partially irritated by the new-agey, feminist
to the exclusion of strong male characters, artificial feel of the book.
As I got further in, my dislike grew do to the use of "catch phrases" (she
says one character, I can't remember whom is a "characature" of someone
else /every single time/ she mentions that person or every single time she
mentions someone else their long black hair just has to flow...)  I was not
at all surprised to learn at a Con last year the Bradley used to write
pornography...it seems to suits her style:my impression is that she writes
at a superficial level and she seems to lay this trust somewhere that if
she repeats the same words, and the same characters the reader will fall
back on SOMETHING to keep interested, except IMHO, there rarely is
something to fall back on.
Just my few cents worth...
RDG

 *(We were allowed to choose any SF/F book and then turn in a book report,
so I wasn't being taught the book, I was only reading it as an
optional-mandatory in that I could have read anything as long as it
fulfilled the page limit (and if I stopped there was little else that would
have reached the page limit and I was on vacation on one of the smaller
Hawaiian islands with no good bookstores to find something else)