Mary-Sue (was Re: Nesbit)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon Jun 24 08:36:33 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:34:54AM +0100, Michelle Thomas wrote:
> On 24/6/02 12:15 pm, "Kyla Tornheim" <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Michelle Thomas wrote:
> >
> >> What is a Gary Stu?
> > A male Mary Sue. I've also heard it termed Marty Stu.
> >
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> um... help me!  what's a Mary Sue? :)

It's a term from SF Media fandom, relating to fan fiction, specifically,
a character in a story who is too perfect to be true, who takes over the
story at the expense of the other characters, who is a wish-fullfilment
fantasy of the author.  Mary-Sue is female, and so are most fan fiction
authors.  To call a character a Mary-Sue is an insult.  Apparently the
first (or most famous early) appearance of this kind of character was in
a Star Trek story which featured Lt. Mary-Sue as the, er, heroine.

Check out <http://www.home.mastersites.com/story/lookout.html> for more
information; it gives details about the main variants of the critter.

Kathryn Andersen