Railways

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 06:15:03 EDT 2002

> Having so much fun watching and now writing to the list I've
> never gotten around to asking my usual question.
> I'm writing my thesis on The Railways on British Children's
> Fiction.

That sounds fascinating! Could you, say, post your abstract after you
submit? I'd like to hear some of your conclusions. I can't think of many,
but there's Through the Looking Glass, where Alice is in a railway
compartment that turns into, I think, a boat. In one of the Green Knowe
books (the first?) Tolly arrives by train.
It's funny how many children in fantasy books get put on trains or boats or
whatever and sent off somewhere alone, isn't it? I mean, I know the Journey
is part of the story but it still seems like a lot.
Jennifer