Recommending books

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 05:26:43 EDT 2002

> Of all these recommendations, are there *any* that you would
> hesitate to recommend to a boy? a girl? and why?

I can only speak for the ones I've read, of course! I'd hesitate to
recommend a couple of the ones with a large romance component to a boy,
particularly a younger teenage boy, unless I knew he'd read similar ones
before. Otherwise, if I was recommending, say, 5 books to a girl, I'd make
sure that at least one was written by a woman and at least one had a female
protagonist, and vice versa for a boy. Just to avoid the alienating feeling
of "these books are nothing to do with me".
Jennifer