Railways

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 04:17:51 EDT 2002

On 23/6/02 6:59 am, "Kathleen Jennings" <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Having so much fun watching and now writing to the list I've never gotten
> around to asking my usual question.
> I'm writing my thesis on The Railways on British Children's Fiction. I've
> assembled a fair list of books, but I was wondering if trains feature
> frequently/at all the DWJ novels I haven't read. Or in any other novels I
> might not have heard of yet, for that matter. I only have 15000 words, so
> I've had to cut out picture books, etc. I'm looking at, e.g. Prince
> Caspian/Voyage of the Dawntreader/Last Battle, Harry Potter, Railway
> Children, Bear called Paddington, school stories (e.g. Chalet School) -
> anything and everything which mentions or depicts trains, railway travel,
> etc.
> Kathleen.

Kay Harper is on a train at the beginning of The Box of Delights.  Also in
Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising books, there are a few trains, especially
in Silver On The Tree.  I think J K Rowling lifted the journey by train to
Hogwarts straight out of Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers books, even down to
the setting and description of the school.

Michelle