Trilogies (was Australian Fantasy (was Re: Obernewtyn (was recommended books))

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Jun 23 22:02:24 EDT 2002

> LOTR is only a trilogy in a publishing/ marketing
> sense. JRRT always considered it one novel published
> in three volumes. His original publication ideas were
> two or six volumes. Of courser that hasn't stopped it
> starting the trilogy trend in fantasy, many of which
> are not really trilogies either - even when they
> manage to stop at book three. Each volume in a trilogy
> should be independant in itself.
One of my copies runs to 7 volumes. I am no longer surprised my first 1
volume paperback fell apart. (I had to leave that one in Germany - a wrench,
but I had another copy which was intact, and my suitcase already weighed
40kg (20 over the limit). I didn't know it would hurt that much to leave a
book. I still miss it).
Kathleen.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au