Australian Fantasy (was Re: Obernewtyn (was recommended books))

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Jun 23 19:57:34 EDT 2002

I won't write about trilogies. They're a commercial form and that's as
legitimate as any. Authors have to live too. I just wish some authors would
learn how to write them, and no, I can't give any titles/names here, because
they are mostly the books that just weren't memorable. Trilogies, I think,
have to be very tight - each book self-sustained but interlinking.
Is LOtR a trilogy? It's three volumes, but that doesn't necessarily make it
so. I think of it as a trilogy insofar as I think of Pride and Prejudice as
a trilogy. Both were published in three volumes, but there's only one story,
complete and indivisible. (Some people may not get past the first volume,
but that doesn't mean they feel like they've read a complete section. Just
listen to the people in the cinemas who didn't know it was only part 1!)
Anyway, that was me not talking about trilogies.
Kathleen

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au