Australian Fantasy (was Re: Obernewtyn (was recommended books))

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sun Jun 23 17:36:51 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:56:47AM +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:
> > But how much Australian fantasy is there out there anyway?  Is there
> > enough to generalize?
>
> I would say so.

And what generalization would *you* make about Australian fantasy,
then?

> The Australian fantasy writers whose work I know include the following;
>
> Jackie French, Patricia Bernard, Brian Caswell, Nan Chauncy, Margaret Clark,
> Gary Crew, Sally Rogers-Davidson, Joan Flanagan, Helen Frances, Deborah
> Lisson, Barbara Giles (unless she's a Kiwi), Sue Gough, Anne Grocott, Penny
> Hall, Lee Harding, Libby Hathorn, Nette Hilton, Nan Hunt, Shannah Jay, Paul
> Jennings, Catherine Jinks, Victor Kelleher, Patricia Kennedy, Robin Klein,
> Beverley Paine, John Larkin, Dave Lucket, David McRobbie, Sophie Masson,
> Emily Rodda, Garth Nix, John O'Brien, Anne Spencer Parry, Jenny Pausacker,
> Robert Hood, Paul Collins, Joan Phipson, John Pinkney, Mavis Scott, Moya
> Simons, Lucy Sussex, Colin Thiele, S. A. Wakefield, Janeen Webb, Valerie
> Weldrick, Edel Wignell, Patricia Wrightson, Bob Rich, Martin Middleton, Keri
> Arthur, Goldie Alexander, Cory Daniells, Libby Gleeson, Kim Wilkins.

(!)  I must admit that many of these, I've never heard of, and of the
ones I've heard of, I haven't read all that many of them, or I didn't
know they wrote fantasy.  Colin Thiele, for example, I had to read one
of his novels for English in school, but it wasn't a fantasy, I don't
think.  Others I've seen in stores, but the blurb wasn't enough to get
me interested, as could happen with any random author.

Oh, Anne Spencer Parry!  Golly that brings back memories! The "Land
Behind the World" series.  Very hard to find, even in libraries.

> What we do lack in Australia (from what I see in my own library) are many
> writers with sustained fantasy series. From my own experience, Australian
> publishers are not keen on these.  Not only in fantasy either.  There are
> quite a few writers, such as Kerry Greenwood, (come to think of it she
> writes fantasy too) who start strongly with a series and then just peter
> out. It happens too often to be an accident. The first few books will be
> well-publicised, well reviewed, and well stocked by libraries and shops, but
> later entries will come out so quietly that many would be readers will never
> know they exist.  This results in lower sales and the attrition of the
> series.

On the other hand, I've been told that publishers are terribly
interested in trilogies, that you're more likely to make a sale if you
can sell them a trilogy rather than a single book.  So is it the case
that they wish that all series were only three books long?

Kathryn Andersen