Lackey

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 23 12:18:42 EDT 2002

> I guess it could have influenced some of my choices. I was a loner
> and a
> bookworm in my early teens and also fairly good at school which
> led me to
> feel different from others. I still have some sentimental
> favourites from
> that time, like McCaffrey's Menolly books and Lackey's earlier
> stuff (I
> really can't read her stuff anymore).

I have just read her most recent Valdemar book (about Skif), and now I
am rereading Oathbound, and I have to say that the contrast is
startling. I thought it was just me getting jaded, but the writing is
seriously worse in the later book. Partly she is suffering from
McCaffrey syndrome - making the plot of a short story last a whole novel
by fleshing it out with detail from the fantsty world.

Robyn