Boy books vs. girl books

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at welho.com
Sun Jun 23 11:37:43 EDT 2002

on 20.6.2002 21:34, Melissa Proffitt at Melissa at Proffitt.com wrote:

> 1. Is there any truth to the above notion?  If so, why?

I think the  notion of girls' books and boys' books is very common, and as a
result I wouldn't start recommending "girly" books to a boy looking for
something to read after Harry Potter. Still, if I know a person better, I
can better think up books that they might enjoy.

> 3. If you began reading science fiction and/or fantasy as a young teen, what
> interested you in such books?  (Boys or girls)

I don't know, I feel like I've read speculative fiction ever since I learned
to read. It's probably due to my father buying me E.R. Burroughs's Tarzan
series. We also subscribed to Tarzan and Korak comics, as well as Phantom
etc. nominally for me, but I think my father's taste was also a large factor
in the choices ;-).

> 5. Girls: I've noticed that female protagonists in fantasy are frequently
> described as being different physically or intellectually from their
> families or immediate social group.  Did you feel similarly unique, and was
> that an element of your interest in fantasy or science fiction?

I guess it could have influenced some of my choices. I was a loner and a
bookworm in my early teens and also fairly good at school which led me to
feel different from others. I still have some sentimental favourites from
that time, like McCaffrey's Menolly books and Lackey's earlier stuff (I
really can't read her stuff anymore).

Tarja