Recommending books

Amaya Booker amaya at whatever.net.au
Sun Jun 23 02:38:20 EDT 2002

I had a similar discussion with a friend on Livejournal recently when we
were discussing the secret love of children's books. My suggestions were:

Charmed Life and/or The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones
The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling (of course)
The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy
The Tripod Trilogy (starting with The White Mountains) by John Christopher
The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis (I really don't like the rest of the
series)
Tale of the Twins by Margeret Weis and Tracey Hickman
The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin
Matilda by Roald Dahl (or really... anything of his!)
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (picture book... but always
cool)
The Curse of the Blue Figurine or The Mummy, The Will and the Crypt by John
Bellairs
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Chrysalids or Chocky by John Wyndham

If you're getting a child onto other books from Harry Potter, then I find
the Chrestomanci series and The Worst Witch are the best to go to next
because of the similar feel. But it can depend on how old they are and what
their reading skill is like since The Worst Witch is for a younger audience.
There is also a TV series of The Worst Witch, and while I was in the UK I
saw a college age version (starring all the same cast) called Weirdsister
College.

Amaya

---
I'm not a goth, they're too pretentious...
I'm above that.

http://www.whatever.net.au/~amaya/
amaya at whatever.net.au