Obernewtyn (was recommended books)

Emma Comerford s369161 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Jun 23 01:12:18 EDT 2002

Kathleen:

>I have the same trouble with Obernewtyn that I do with a great many
>Australian fantasies - its an odd feeling, something to do with the fact
>that the story almost always feels hot (temperature-wise, deserts, haze,
>whatever the weather actually described), and that it is so often
>post-holocaust. I don't know why I notice this or why I dislike it. Just one
>of those things - most of my friends love Obernewtyn but it always made me
>feel uneasy.
>By that I mean, Australian fantasy usually has a gritty, post-holocaust feel
>and is often very much into interrelationships and the personality of the
>characters.

Would you be able to give some examples of this? I can pick US and UK
authors fitting your descriptions, but am having trouble with the Aussies.
I can only think perhaps Victor Kelleher? But others such as Sally Odgers
(as she just said as I wrote this!), Garth Nix, Catherine Jinks, Ruth
Park...(sorry, can't think of others off the top of my head) definitely
don't have this feel to me.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've read only a little adult
Australian fantasy, so that might account for my lack of understanding!

Emma