Possible scam on ABE? (crossposted)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Sat Jun 22 18:04:51 EDT 2002

I noticed recently that a particular book dealer on the Advanced Book
Exchange, ----------.com (also doing business as -----'s Books) was
advertising some of the same books (descriptions word-for-word the same) as
were on other dealers' lists for much less money. It seems that ----------
may be doing a kind of Alibris business where they advertise other people's
books with a big mark-up, but on ABE they look as though they were an
ordinary individual book dealer (or two, counting -----'s Books as one).

I have complained to ABE and written to one of the book dealers whose books
----------.com appeared to be trying to re-sell, but so far no answers.

Here's an example. I take it that Adrian Greenwood (who isn't the one I've
already written to) is an ordinary legitimate bookseller in Oxford?

 1.  Charlotte Yonge Sir Thomas Thumb
Thomas Nelson, Cloth, Very Good, No Jacket, , , wear to extremities, some
discolouration to cover, minor tears to ends of spine, , 16mo - over 5¾" -
6¾" tall, , . Bookseller Inventory # 820044
Price: US$ 77.25 convert currency
Presented by -----'s Books, Yarmouthport, MA, U.S.A. (SEARCH THIS SELLERS
INVENTORY)
order options

     2.  Charlotte Yonge Sir Thomas Thumb
Thomas Nelson, Cloth, Very Good, No Jacket, , , wear to extremities, some
discolouration to cover, minor tears to ends of spine, , 16mo - over 5¾ - 6¾
tall, , . Bookseller Inventory # 820044
Price: US$ 77.25 convert currency
Presented by The ----------.com, Boston, MA, U.S.A. (SEARCH THIS SELLERS
INVENTORY)
order options

     3.  Charlotte Yonge Sir Thomas Thumb
Thomas Nelson, Cloth, Very Good, No Jacket, , , wear to extremities, some
discolouration to cover, minor tears to ends of spine, , 16mo - over 5¾ - 6¾
tall, , . Bookseller Inventory # 402698
Price: US$ 91.35 convert currency
Presented by The ----------.com, Boston, MA, U.S.A. (SEARCH THIS SELLERS
INVENTORY)
order options

     6.  Charlotte Yonge Sir Thomas Thumb
Thomas Nelson, Cloth, Very Good, No Jacket, , , wear to extremities, some
discolouration to cover, minor tears to ends of spine, , 16mo - over 5¾" -
6¾" tall, , . Bookseller Inventory # 402698
Price: US$ 91.35 convert currency
Presented by -----'s Books, Yarmouthport, MA, U.S.A. (SEARCH THIS SELLERS
INVENTORY)
order options

     8.  Charlotte Yonge Sir Thomas Thumb
London: Thomas Nelson Cloth. Very Good/No Jacket. 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall.
wear to extremities, some discolouration to cover, minor tears to ends of
spine . Bookseller Inventory # 014557
Price: US$ 29.00 convert currency
Presented by Adrian Greenwood, Oxford, OXF, United

Helen Schinske