Recommending books

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Jun 22 14:41:07 EDT 2002

Kathryn
:
>  > > - George MacDonald
>>
>>  Did he write something about the back of the north wind?  I think I've read
>>  it, but don't remember much at all.
>
>"At The Back of the North Wind" was for younger readers and seems to be
>what he's most famous for, but my favourites were the two novels "The
>Princess and the Goblin" and "The Princess and Curdie".  Also he had
>some delightful short stories, especially "The Light Princess".

Was AtBotNW for younger readers?  I read it eons ago, but haven't
reread it for years.  But I also loved the two Princess books, and
*love* "The Light Princess"!  There's a great collection called "A
Book of Princesses"  (although I think it may have been published
under another name also), which has that, and E. Nesbit's
"Melisande", which is also wonderful.

Oh, another rec I don't think anyone has mentioned, (from Becca),
William Nicholson.  The third one in his trilogy is just out here,
but Becca hasn't read it yet.

Hallie.