Recommending books

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Jun 22 14:06:50 EDT 2002

>On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:59:10 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>
>>There was one of these discussions back in '99, and I pulled together
>>a lot of the posts in the thread to send to Bodil, which is still
>>here.  I could post this if you'd like, Melissa, but it may be more
>>fun to get new recs and then see the old ones?  Whatever you'd
>>prefer...
>
>I'm glad you've still got it.  I think it would be fun to compare the new
>list to the old, since we've had some new members join since then.

Yeah, there are *always* advantages to be found to being untidy! :)

>And thanks, everyone, for some interesting discussions!  I'm going to
>compile the recommendation list in a few days and see what we've got.

I'll wait for a few days and then send it, ok?

>Only
>one more question that hasn't really been addressed:
>
>Of all these recommendations, are there *any* that you would hesitate to
>recommend to a boy? a girl? and why?

Hmmm.  Mostly the ones I would definitely not recommend for a boy are
ones nobody in our house liked that much anyway (Tamora Pierce comes
immediately mind - apologies to fans).  But then there are others
that we do love - this is what I was thinking of with the Sherwood
Smith - which I'd never recommend to a boy I didn't know that well.
Which is the situation I was picturing from your post, Melissa -
granny walks in with kid who likes Harry Potter and that's pretty
much all you know about his tastes.  So I guess it's nothing more
interesting than playing it a lot safer about things like female
protagonist for male reader, romantic element, etc.  Not that I'd
believe all boys would automatically reject a book just on that basis.

I will further defend myself by backing this up with reference to
DWJ's comments that "no boy would be seen dead reading a book whose
hero was a girl.'  In 1970, which is probably virtually Stone Age to
some of you, but still...

Hallie.