Introductions

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Sat Jun 22 07:42:11 EDT 2002

Hi, I'm Kathleen Jennings, Australian, short-time lurker who has been slow
to reply to this because of suddenly being snowed under by combination
assessment/email  blizzard. Am now daring to sit up and look around.

Name: Kathleen Jennings

Occupation: Uni Student - honours in English lit/ German ( as of May no
longer merely a lowly undergraduate. That sounds awful, but it is fun to  be
an honours student! Although I'll be back to undergrad law next year);
translator; writer; artist; procrastinator.

Age: 22

 Married: no.

 Children: no

I live in: a residential college in Brisbane, Qld (which I like at the
moment because the weather has just turned cold)

How I discovered the list: I was looking for child. lit. lists for research
(for my thesis), found this one by accident, and have kept silent ever
since. But this is one list which has fun.

Favourite DWJ: haven't read as many as I would like (late discovery combined
with slightly more than a full time uni workload). Probably The Homeward
Bounders and Dogsbody.

First DWJ novel: One of the above - don't remember. No! I have very vague
memories of what *might* have been a Chrestomanci novel - stone lions coming
to life and two children in a shoebox - does this ring bells? I'd like to
know what it was.

Favourite authors: DWJ, Lloyd Alexander (Prydain tears my heart out every
time I get to the end. They are tiny books - tiny and perfect like, oh, I
don't know. Have you seen the pictures in an illuminated manuscript - small
and without as much detail as could have been given, and yet they are like
jewels. I am in tears every time I reread the ending of the last of the 5
books: its not a bad ending. It's happy, but its an *ending* - so very final
and you haven't had nearly enough), Terry Pratchett, Leo Marks (only read
his autobiography, but it's up there), Bill Bryson's linguistics books, E.
Nesbit (esp. The Enchanted Castle. She can get the mundane into the most
magical of stories and that only makes the story funnier). George Macdonald
(short stories). M.M.Kaye for her "Ordinary Princess". I am investigating
Heinrich Boll but I'm not sure yet. David Crystal (linguistics again).
Certain 'classic' authors who don't really need to be named (although not
*nearly* enough people read Farmer Giles of Ham. I was fearfully
unimpressed, too, when my first copy had the wrong illustrations. The
original ones (which I now have) are in Pauline Bayne's inimitable
combination of medieval and pure fun). Hmmm. I know I'll think of more. That
vein, anyway.
Favourite poets: Judith Wright, Robert Frost, A. E. Housman, Yeats and
others.

Number of books owned: too many for a person with no house to keep them in.
A packed shelf at college, with a few boxes on the floor. Floor to ceiling
in my bedroom at home and a cupboard full of boxes that haven't been
unpacked, and a substantial contribution to the (in large part similarly
unaccommodated) family collection.

Favourite music: revolutionary & protest. Folk, irish. Some old country
(i.e. borderline folk). Grew up on a cattle property and my little sister is
rabid rodeo-attendee, goes mustering on her holidays, drives a truck (while
longing for a ute) etc and consequently have had a violent reaction to
country music. Anything that you can imagine a story too (Venice in Peril -
but this album is no longer available), or dance around the room making a
fool of yourself. Currently have "99Luftballons/99 red balloons" stuck in my
head (why?). Oh - and Flanders and Swann, of course. !

Kathleen.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au