Recommending books

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Jun 21 20:03:59 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 01:58:05PM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> Of all these recommendations, are there *any* that you would hesitate to
> recommend to a boy? a girl? and why?

Well, one could argue that it would depend on the boy or the girl...
General rule might be, again, that the ones with girl protagonists might
not be good to reccommend to a boy, but that's only a rule of thumb.
Probably the ones that are more relationshippy wouldn't be good for
boys.

"The Ordinary Princess" doesn't have enough adventure in it for a boy, I
don't think.  Neither would something like "Charlotte Sometimes".
Wheras "The Blue Sword" is very adventuresome, even though the
protagonist is female.  And Patricia McKillip's "Riddle Master" trilogy
has both a male and a female protagonist, depending where in the trilogy
you are.

I can't think of any I wouldn't reccomend to a girl, seeing as I was a
girl when I read them -- except for the ones I discovered as a grownup
of course! (grin)  But the same principle would apply.

Kathryn Andersen