Recommending books

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Jun 21 19:55:07 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 06:57:35PM +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
> And you've reminded me of another one - H. M. Hoover.  "Children of Morrow"
> was another one I read the library copy of to bits!

Actually I wasn't terribly impressed with "Children of Morrow" because I
considered it to be a rip-off of John Wyndham's "The Chrysalids" which
I'd read first.  Have people mentioned Wyndham?  I guess he'd be
considered fine for older teens, considering that "The Day of the
Triffids" gets studied in high school in some places.  Though I actually
think my favourite Wyndham is "Trouble With Lichen" (and not least for
it's, er, sort of subversive response to the classic 50s attitude
towards women...)

> > > Patricia Lynch - a bit "Oirish" in places, but excellent fantasy anyway.
> >
> > "Oirish"?  Huh?
>
> Short for "stage-Oirish" - meaning an overly romantic, idealised view of
> this country, probably involving leprechauns and characters who say things
> like "Sure, the top of the marnin' to ye, sir, begob and begorrah, isn't it
> a grand oul' day all the same" etc.  Think of any Irish character in any
> book written before about 1950 (and an unfortunate number after that date,
> too!) and you'll get the idea.

Oh! (enlightenment dawns)

Kathryn Andersen