Recommending books

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 21 11:08:05 EDT 2002

> I loved these books, as well as the Railway Children.  I think,
> especiallyin the 'Amulet' E. Nesbit was making more of a politic
> point than she was in
> the earlier books - she was a Fabian and a radical who lived a very
> interesting and odd life (worth reading Julia Briggs biography) -
> and the
> Amulet is very critical of the grimness of Edwardian London,
> especially in
> her vision of the future.

I love Nesbit, too. She's a little like DWJ in that she writes quite
different kinds of stories - the Treasure Seekers and the other Bastable
books are really funny, while there is a much more serious pair of
time-travel stories (names of which escape me). They are about some
children who inherit a manor house, and then find out they have a beggar
cousin, who is actually the Heir. They all have elements of social
commentary in them; yet they are also much less old-fashioned than a lot
of children's fiction from the same time.

Robyn