Recommending books

Fri Jun 21 10:37:41 EDT 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:05:24 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>>>  Oh, and as an aside, did you hear that _The Changling Sea_ is being
>>>  republished?  May not make a big difference in recs if you've a good
>>>  library, but I still think it's great news!
>>
>>Who, what?
>
>Sorry, early Patricia McKillip.  Melissa had mentioned recommending
>PMcK, and I knew she'd liked TCS, so I threw it in as an aside.
>Fascinating discussion and I've no time to join in - Gah!!

My copy is signed by the author.  <end smugness>  She came to the annual
science fiction symposium at BYU and they didn't promote her appearance very
well--either that or nobody knew who she was.  Because, basically, nobody
came to the book signing.  So I got to talk to her but I was so overawed I
couldn't think of anything sensible to say, and ended up sounding like an
idiot.  But I bought _The Changeling Sea_ because I felt bad that nobody had
come, and it was the only one there that I didn't have.

We did have a fun conversation about cover art with another lady, and it
turned out my copy of _Forgotten Beasts of Eld_ had a cover she (McKillip)
liked.  And I took her to lunch the next day.  But I got into trouble with
another friend over it all.  That Saturday, after it was all over, I was at
our weekly gaming session and I burbled about how happy I was that I'd
gotten to meet her.  Another girl, Susan, got the most horrified look on her
face and said, "SHE WAS HERE?!?!?!"  Turns out Susan is a HUGE fan of hers,
but not being tuned into the fannish community at all (and, as I've said,
they really didn't publicize well) she had no idea the author was even
there.  And by then it was too late.  She's never let me forget that.

So it's good news for me about _Changeling_ because I haven't read it in
years, being too afraid of ruining the mint condition of my book....

Melissa Proffitt