Recommending books

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jun 21 09:59:40 EDT 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

> - Monica Hughes (especially the "Isis" trilogy)
The Isis trilogy never grabbed me so much, but one of my favorite books is
"Invitation to the Game." Futuristic; a bunch of nifty characters; and
they're all really intelligent with different useful skills. Plus, I
really like the bits about creative scrounging.

> > Ruth Park - "Playing Beattie Bow" is another time-travel one, set in Sydney,
> > Australia.
> Oh, there was one I read as a teen, and I can't remember the author, but
> it was a similarly time-travel one: "Charlotte Sometimes"
I love, love, love "Playing Beatie Bow." It's another of my one-shot
favorites.

"Charlotte Sometimes" is by Penelope Farmer. It gave me chills when I read
it the first time (um. maybe I was about 12?), and still makes me a bit
sad/wistful, but it's in a good way. Really. It's not, like, horror. Sorry
about the use of the word "chills."

> > Robin McKinley - the "Damar" books would suit teenagers, though I *don't*
> > recommend "Deerskin" here (great book, but rather disturbing - not for
> > kids).  "Beauty" (retelling of "Beauty and the Beast") is also good.
> There's also a book of shorter retold fairy stories called "The Door in
> the Hedge" which is good.
Plus there's "Outlaws of Sherwood," yet another retelling of the Robin
Hood story. I have problems with the ending, but at least three of my
friends absolutely adore it, so.

> > Mary Norton - the "Borrowers" books are better than "Bedknob and
> > Broomstick", I feel.
To get back to an earlier thread, "Bedknob and Broomstick" is the one book
I've ever come across that I think made, hands down, a better movie. This
is mostly from my love of, well, things like walking armor, but the ending
was much more satisfactory.

And, crud, I seem to have deleted the other message I was going to reply
to. Someone asked about "Ella Enchanted."

I will definitely *not* tell you about the fairy tale basis for the story,
because it annoyed me when I heard which one it was before I read the book
(don't read those little blurbs on the copyright page), but I will say
that it's both charming and populated with interesting, strong characters
and nifty details. So, yes. Highly recommended.