Recommending books

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 08:00:11 EDT 2002

On 21/6/02 12:45 pm, "Gross Family" <argross at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I have three paperbacks of this series:
>
> _Five Children and It_
> _The Phoenix and the Carpet_
> _The Story of the Amulet_
>
> And you're right, the third one tells how the children get the amulet and
> visit ancient civilisations. This was a series I loved as a teenager. I
> found the third book to be much more 'mature' than the others, very
> atmospheric and with an emotional climax.

I loved these books, as well as the Railway Children.  I think, especially
in the 'Amulet' E. Nesbit was making more of a politic point than she was in
the earlier books - she was a Fabian and a radical who lived a very
interesting and odd life (worth reading Julia Briggs biography) -  and the
Amulet is very critical of the grimness of Edwardian London, especially in
her vision of the future.

Michelle