Recommending books

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Jun 20 20:22:27 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:55:56PM +0100, Jendle wrote:
> > From: Kathryn Andersen

> > - E. Nesbit
>
> I seem to remember reading her a few years ago, and finding it very
> episodic.  Saying that, the TV adaptation of the one with that thing that
> lives in the sand and grants wishes was very good.

I haven't actually seen that.  Must see if I can track it down.

> > - Fay Sampson, the "Pangur Ban the White Cat" series
> > - Madeline L'Engle (has anyone mentioned her?)
>
> I read the first of the books about tesseracts, but the religious angle put
> me off quite a lot.

Really?  I didn't consider it to be too overt...

> Shame, because the ideas are really interesting.  And I
> loved the Mrs W-s.

The other two books in the trilogy had interesting ideas and characters too.

> > - George MacDonald
>
> Did he write something about the back of the north wind?  I think I've read
> it, but don't remember much at all.

"At The Back of the North Wind" was for younger readers and seems to be
what he's most famous for, but my favourites were the two novels "The
Princess and the Goblin" and "The Princess and Curdie".  Also he had
some delightful short stories, especially "The Light Princess".

> > - Michael Ende
>
> The Neverending Story?  If it's what I'm thinking of, it had a quite a good
> concept, but the sequels were a bit of a let down.  (Heh.  You'll know my
> memory is awful if there *were* no sequels...)

Sequels?  There were sequels?
The only two books I'm aware of by him are "The Neverending Story" and
"Momo" and I'm actually more fond of Momo.

Kathryn Andersen