Boy books vs. girl books

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 20 20:12:41 EDT 2002

Melissa asked:

> 5. Girls: I've noticed that female protagonists in fantasy are frequently
> described as being different physically or intellectually from their
> families or immediate social group.  Did you feel similarly
> unique, and was
> that an element of your interest in fantasy or science fiction?  (This has
> nothing to do with the issue at hand, but I've got this book upstairs I've
> been trying to read and the whole "she was dark and tall compared
> to all the
> petite blondes in her adopted family" is sticking in my craw.)

I liked to read about the female protagonists who were different, but I'm
afraid this is not because I felt different, but more probably because I
felt depressingly ordinary and would have liked to be a bit different -
especially different AND (ultimately) successful. And I suppose I didn't
have the courage to be different, so in reading about it I could go with the
female protagonists on their journey and be different in imagination without
the hurt that goes with real-life difference as a teenager. A lot of wish
fulfilment went into my teenage reading, and I still like
success/happy-ending books, which I suppose are comfort reads.
Regards
Elizabeth.