Subject: Subject: 2nd hand DWJ (was: Re: Oddest

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 18:42:24 EDT 2002

Gill wrote

<I loves Antonia Forest as a kid and have a few
reprints of some of her
books. It's not her real name - she's a *very*
private person, apparently.
She wrote (writes?) superior school stories
centred on a family called
Marlowe, who live in a house called Trennels.
There are IIRC, five girls and
a boy.(Or two?) and a different member of the
family tends to be the focus
in each book. There are also a pair - one is
called "Player's Boy" but I
forget the other - set in Shakespeare's world of
sixteenth century theatre.
Slightly odd, as they were written over around
fifty years, but each is set
at the time of writing, but they work remarkably
well. One of the twins is
acting-mad, which is probably why I was first
attracted to them. I read them
even before I envcountered DWJ.>

That's it! It was the theatre ones that I liked.
I've got them mixed up in my brain with Rosemary
Sutcliff's Brother Dusty Feet, another favourite.

Remember me, anyone?

Of course I do! The politicians as Dwj villains
thread was a classic. Missed you as well.

=====
Ven