Recommending books

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Jun 20 08:33:04 EDT 2002

(leaping in without a parachute, nor indeed, a magic carpet...)
Hmmm, people have already mentioned most of what I would have mentioned
myself, but here are a few that I *think* haven't been mentioned
(or are worth mentioning again)

- E. Nesbit
- Fay Sampson, the "Pangur Ban the White Cat" series
- Madeline L'Engle (has anyone mentioned her?)
- George MacDonald
- Jenny Nimmo (I'm specially fond of "Ultramarine" rather than the ones
  she's more well-known for)
- Michael Ende
- "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine (I found this in a bookstore
  labelled "Harry Potter fans will love this" and was very pleasantly
  surprised to find that I actually did like it)
- the coloured Fairy Books edited by Andrew Lang (ah, I was practically
  brought up on these plus the Narnia books plus Tolkien...)
- Even though LotR is daunting even for adults, "The Hobbit"
  should be good, also "Smith of Wooton Major" I'm very fond of, and
  that's very short.

(Kathryn refrains from mentioning a few others because they're SF not
fantasy)

(Kathryn waves at Sallyo...)

Kathryn Andersen
	Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;