hanging on to books (Was Re: RE: Adaptations

Caleb W scalebw at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 05:04:33 EDT 2002

Me too. I borrowed a book from the library once (Go Saddle the Sea, by Joan
Aiken)) and it wasn't until I'd finished it that I realised I'd got my own
copy on my shelf that I'd bought and forgotten about. It'll probably be
quite a while before I get through all the books I bought in Hay-on-Wye. Ah,
bliss - I'm spoilt for choice as to which book to read next :)

<snip>
> My library system is very good,
> but there's nothing like wanting to read a book and
> realizing that the library is closed for a few days,
> there is only one copy of the book in the whole
> system, and you are number sixteen in line.

I don't mind, I can't afford to buy lots of books, even if there were any
decent bookshops here in the wilds of North Wales within easy reach.

I'm at a loss as to how the library ordering system works, but it seems very
inefficient. My family and I are going to Cyprus in two weeks, so we tried
to order Greek quick learning books and tapes. We were told they were in
Tywyn and would take at least two weeks to come, which isn't much good. When
they heard that, they said that they'd phone Tywyn and ask them to put them
on the van that brings the ordered books around between libraries. I though
the point of ordering was that it put the books down on the computer system
to be put in the van for the very same purpose. Very odd..

The library system is not much good for getting books in a hurry, but they
come eventually. Last summer, on the first day of the holidays, I went
through their computer database looking for any books I wanted to read and
ordering them (I can do this for free being in full-time education). The
first week, no books came, but after that every time the van came around
there were loads of books, and it slowly trailed off over the summer. It was
that way that I discovered that DWJ had written loads more books than just
the few I'd read, so I ordered loads of them.

Caleb W.