Black Maria

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 02:39:07 EDT 2002

--- christian nutt <ferricide at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: Rowena Macrae-Gibson
*snip*

> >Wasn't this the book that DWJ wrote years ago,
> based on one of her awful
> >inlaws, but then didn't publish for ages? Or is my
> brain making that up?
>
> i don't know what you're specifically referring to,
> but that sounds more
> like eight days of luke to me. or at least that one
> has a horrible family in
> it. black maria just sort of has aunt maria...
> everyone else isn't family
> members.

I think Aunt Maria was based on her mother-in-law.
Ah, tracked it down.  Charmed Lives Fanzine 4 in which
she discusses which of her characters were based on
real people.  Search for "maria" or "mother" to find
the paragraph where she explicitly states it.

http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/cl2int.htm

BTW, she did suppress Black Maria for a while.  She
explains why on the Q&A board.  (search for "maria")

http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/answers.htm

I can't imagine why I don't read everything at
dianawynnejones.com (which still points to Meredith
and Helen's site, at least for me).  There's so much
fascinating material.  There's an interview from 1993
where she talks about the Archer's Goon TV show and
how Charmed Life, Eight Days of Luke, and Howl's
Moving Castle might make a good transition to
television.  And she talks a bit about Black Maria in
her Heroes speech.  (Look at the side bar)

Kale