Black Maria

christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 01:31:21 EDT 2002

>From: Rowena Macrae-Gibson

all right. it's time for me to chime in and defend aunt (er..black) maria
from all of you. heh heh. it's a good book! it has the sort of tone i like
from DWJ, and the weird oppressive atmosphere is really interesting. i like
the main character's voice, and i like how suddenly aunt maria is grooming
her to be the replacement for naomi. it's cleverly worked-out and intricate.
although i don't think it's one of her best by any means.

>Wasn't this the book that DWJ wrote years ago, based on one of her awful
>inlaws, but then didn't publish for ages? Or is my brain making that up?

i don't know what you're specifically referring to, but that sounds more
like eight days of luke to me. or at least that one has a horrible family in
it. black maria just sort of has aunt maria... everyone else isn't family
members.

christian