Black Maria

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Jun 13 08:24:38 EDT 2002

Yes it's funny, how Black Maria contains a lot of elements that usually
make her work fantastic, and yet I really don't read it all that often. I
can remember waiting for the library I worked in at the time to get in in
stock so I could read it before going off to my aforementioned horrid year
in Loughborough. I know I enjoyed reading it for the first time (New DWJ,
Hooray!). I think one of the problems is that Maria is so awful and
maipulative, that she can be hard to read. This is a compliment to DWJ
really, as Maria is meant to be awful.
Wasn't this the book that DWJ wrote years ago, based on one of her awful
inlaws, but then didn't publish for ages? Or is my brain making that up?
However, the book I have read the least is Homeward Bounders, which most
people seem to love. Every time I think I'll re-read one of these 2, I get
distracted by all the other DWJ books, and re-read one of those instead.

Rowena