hanging on to books (Was Re: RE: Adaptations

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 02:55:02 EDT 2002

--- "Ian W. Riddell" <iwr77 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mark is generally supportive of my reading habit,
> but not so supportive
> (ahem!) of my habit of actually buying and keeping
> books that I read (as
> opposed to using the library more or trading them
> in). He just doesn't
> understand the need to hang on to them so that on
> that day I wake up at 3am
> and just HAVE to read "The Tombs of Atuan" or "To
> Kill a Mockingbird" I'll
> have them handy :-)

That's exactly it.  That's why I have a hard time
letting go of any book, even if I don't see myself
reading it in the foreseeable future.  I still have
books on my shelves that I haven't read yet.  I had
the complete LoTR ready when I decided to read it
after watching the movie.  (Good thing, too, as it was
in such demand that there wasn't a copy available in
the library system.)  It's why I hung onto Eight Days
of Luke long enough to realize that it was by DWJ and
that I was on no account to even think of getting rid
of it.

Nobody in my family understands why I need all these
books around, not even my sister who buys/reads more
new books than I ever will.  She just told me that she
discarded a whole bunch of books by leaving them in
the laundry room for anyone to take.  I asked her to
send them to me, but she refused to "encourage your
packrat habits."  If she didn't live across the
country from me, I would've been down in the laundry
room taking my pick.  My library system is very good,
but there's nothing like wanting to read a book and
realizing that the library is closed for a few days,
there is only one copy of the book in the whole
system, and you are number sixteen in line.

Kale
(who gets on author/series reading jags)