Alexlit

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 12 23:13:47 EDT 2002

> failing at the last minute to resist the temptation to observe that
> many people who loathe Tolkein have found a lot to like in Tolkien

Apart from the issues I have with the sexism in the books; I have a
plagiarism issues (more with fans than with the book) - because I have
read a lot of Old Norse literature, so I know all about the bits Tolkein
didn't make up. Then I have a whole nother set of issues which are
related to his Old English scholarship (or lack thereof). All of this
means that apart from the question of whether or not I like the books
for themselves, I have the problem that if I ended up liking them, I
would hate myself.

Robyn