2nd hand DWJ

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 13:34:27 EDT 2002

In a message dated 6/12/2002 6:30:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Melissa
Proffit writes:

> In most cases it's because people tend to keep children's books.  Since most
>  secondhand stores get their stock from trade, it's not unusual for them to
>  have very small quantities of children's and YA books.  People don't bring
>  them in to start with, and the ones the store carries are purchased and
then
>  not returned for trade.  I don't know if this applies everywhere or if it's
>  just the US, but it's something we learned from observation as well as from
>  research, because we are going to open a used book store someday.

I haven't found this to be the case at all, particularly. I admit there's
frequently nothing in the children's section I want, but then I have unusual
tastes (and I *have* a lot of the common books I see, or figure I can get
them from the library). I certainly see plenty of books worth having
(including, I am pretty sure, lots of DWJ, though often it gets put in the
general fantasy section), and now that I have two almost-eight-year-olds to
buy for, I pick up a lot more standard stuff.

Yes, in some bookstores the children's section is full of nothing but _Bob,
Son of Battle_ and _Things to See and Do_ (the latter title is made up, but
you know the sort of thing I mean). But not in all, by a long shot.

I did find a rare Antonia Forest (the _only_ one I have ever seen on a
real-life bookstore shelf) recently (it was _The Marlows and the Traitor_).
That was a true fluke, however.

Helen Schinske