Alexlit

Wed Jun 12 11:45:47 EDT 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:54:32 -0400, Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) wrote:

>> I kinda remember that...we knew each other from one list and
>> happened to
>> meet on the other.  Boy, that was a long time ago!  And I'm not on the
>> Alexlit group any more, either....

>People of good taste find each other :)

Of course.  We're all here, aren't we?  :)

>Alexlit seems to have gone downhill quite a bit.  They've had problems which
>went ages without being fixed, they haven't put a newsletter out in ages and
>no one seems to hang out in the newsgroup anymore.  I keep plugging in what
>I've read though, in the hope that other people are too.  And in the hope
>that they won't fold financially and disappear forever!

I stopped using their site because I couldn't get it to respond quickly (or,
sometimes, at all).  Strangely, the Recommender works fine and is even a
little faster than it used to be.  Rate New Stories, on the other hand, is
still sluggish and unresponsive, and occasionally freezes up entirely.
Searching for a particular title or author is even worse.  Back before I
gave up I sent messages asking if it was their problem or mine, and got no
answer.  Jacob says it probably has something to do with the database
structure, but in any case it's not fixable by me.

I would like to support them financially, but I'm really reluctant to buy a
story that Hypatia doesn't think I'll like very much.  :)  But I do hope
they continue to be successful.  I loved that site so much and spent so much
time entering titles and authors...that was another one I stumbled across in
its early days.

Maybe I'll add my list of "Books I wouldn't have found without Alexlit" to
Nat's.  :)

Melissa Proffitt