Oddest place you've found DWJ

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 09:51:06 EDT 2002

> I spent the most miserable year of my life in Loughborough, a place only
> redeemed by its pubs.

Oh, come on!  Loughborough can't possibly be redeemed by its pubs!  I will admit
I have never been into a pub in Loughborough, although I've been shopping there
many times in the last 12 years.  I suppose I'm just not a pub sort of person.
It is _redeemed_ by its bell foundry - a wonderful place...

> But oh the joy to find a copy of Spellcoats amongst
> the books decorating one of the pubs! It wasn't available in paperback at
> the time, and I had only ever been able to read the library copy as child.
> My boyf couldn't understand why my face lit up with excitement at finding
> it again after several years.
>
> I've spent many hours browsing in second hand bookshops, but I've never
> found a DWJ.

Well, I have news for you.  There's a copy of the Mandarin edition of Fire and
Hemlock in Hornsby's bookshop in (you guessed it) Loughborough.  I actually gave
it to Malcolm Hornsby in an attempt to convert him to DWJ fandom...

(and before you ask, the copy with which I replaced it was also bought
secondhand)

Seriously, I do see DWJ in secondhand bookshops from time to time.  And in
charity shops.  You just have to dig...  My copy (Puffin) of Wilkins' Tooth came
from an Oxfam bookshop that is alas no more.  My hardback of Homeward Bounders
was probably the most recent such find, in the Book Barn in Wells.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970